Examples of FONCPL Award Winners
These are examples of recent award winners, and the examples might be useful for people considering submitting an application.
GET AN EARLY
Frances B. Reid Group Awards
Randolph County Public Library
Randolph Reads - Invisible Man. School system had banned the book from the school system. Wanted to get a better image for the community and an opportunity to talk about race relations.
1. held book discussions at library
2. participated in Art exhibits, Jazz concerts, lectures on censorship
3. sponsored the community wrap-up at the library
Friends sponsored a Trivia Night as a Fundraising event. $50 tickets included dinner and a chance for community people to test their knowledge of famous books.
Brought the Fabulous Beekman Boys in to speak for Annual Meeting and gained new members.
Partnered with a local assisted living facility to Host "Jazz and Juleps" to raise funds for literacy outreach.
Friends brought author, "Miss Julia" Ann B. Ross for an afternoon. 16 sponsors provided door prizes and sold author's books.
Hoke County Public Library
"A small group with a large dream" to fund a Bookmobile!
Hold book sale during NC Turkey Festival selling tee shirts with Friends logo.
The Rogue Rollergirls invited Friends to become one of their charities and received a check.
Hold Annual "Boogie in the Books" with live band, line dancers and a cake walk.
Friends joined staff in the United Way spelling bee dressed in Black and Yellow bee costumes.
Furnished hats, gloves, jewelry, scarves for dress-up for the Mommy and Me Reading Club participants.
Sponsored 2 "Meet the Author" events. Honored staff with a Christmas
Luncheon and gifts.
Visited with new county commissioners to lobby for the bookmobile and received an official letter of support.
J. Hoyt Hayes Memorial Troutman Branch Library
Honored volunteers with an annual Appreciation Dinner
Funded the Movie Licensing for the year
Funded the purchase of a DVD player and speakers.
Funded and worked the Halloween Trick-or-Treat for children, a Polar Express program for children, the Gingerbread House Making, thr Cake Decorating Program, and the Teen Book Club.
Hosted the "Love Your Library" fundraising program during month of February to procure needed supplies.
Organized, funded and assisted in creation of Community Garden with plaque.
Members lead a weekly adult book club.
All is supported with publicity galore!
Friends of Alamance County Public Libraries
Funded a brand new program called the ACPL Zoom Pass program that partners with local organizations and museums that give free admission to library patrons. Currently patrons can receive free passes to the Children's Museum of Alamance County, NC Zoo, Aquatic Center, and the Conservators Center. This is made possible by donations given these organizations by the Friends. Last year 2,154 passes were checked out and is growing.
Friends fund most of the programs at the library with over 37,000 people attending programs at the library last year.
Friends sort and shelve the over 60,000 donated books each year for the book sales.
Frannie Ashburn Individual Awards
Northeast Area - Katie Lake - Friends of Brown Library, Washington
- Held all positions on the Friends Board
- Sorts donated books especially paperbacks by author
- Heads membership committee devising labels to remind members when dues are due
- Helps get speakers for programs sponsored by Friends
- Counts book sale monies to the tune of $15,000-$22,000 each year
- Helped set up web page
- Volunteers at the Saturday Farmer's Market booth
- Meets with Librarian to discuss needs of Library and assesses the priority for monies spent
Southeast Area - Marilyn Perry - Friends of Hickmans Crossroads Library
- Organized a library birthday party for the last 3 years
- Trains new volunteers at the library
- Started Friends monthly e-mail. Compiles all library events, composes all articles and sends it to 700 library patrons
- Manages the record-keeping for all volunteer hours, publishing a monthly schedule with volunteers listed for each daily shift
- Comes to every library event to set up tables, chairs and greet each patron and then stays to clean up after
- Organizes 'Lunch with Friends" each quarter - planning lunches, reservations, name tags and programs
Central Area - Laura Wright - Friends of Alamance County Public Libraries
- Chaired 2 very successful Book Sales in one year: Spring sale brought in $24,000 and when no one volunteered to Chair Fall Sale she did bringing in $28,000. She put in over 200 volunteer hours
- Maintains and updates the volunteer hours and see to it that the 96 volunteers are members of FOL
- Makes 'goody bags' for staff appreciation
- Participates in Alamance Community Read program
West Central Area - Lucy Kearns - Hickory Public Library Friends of the Library
- Helps build wooden shelving structures for displaying books for book sales - she's strong!
- Chairs the Membership Committee bringing in over a 100 new and renewing members in a two month period sending a letter to each one
- Chairs the on-going Corner Book Store-adding new books weekly and removing non-sellers.
- Thinks up clever contests and sales to keep the Store fresh
- Seeing the need for books in out in our community, delivers books to a local psychiatric hospital and other needy care centers
- Works tirelessly in the very small storage area where books constantly need shifting and sorting
Mountain Area - Ed McNally - Friends of Madison County Library
- Organized an annual Plant Sale complete with food and music as a money maker for the library
- Leads the Marshall Native Gardens Initiative and devised a master plan for the areas around the library
- Used volunteers to create gardens around the library such as a children's vegetable garden.
- Brought in at-risk Madison County Youth to work and to illustrate a positive wore this while working on a team effort
- Advocates for the library in the community to bring awareness of the need for more funding for the library as funding decreased in the county
Honorable Mention - 2015 Frannie Ashburn Awards
Jim Turdici - Friends of the Pasquotank County Library, Northeast Area.
- Participates in Community Pre-school Read In in costume
- Delivers left-over books from sales to various places in community who give away free books
Sarah Jo Safrit - Friends of the Carteret County Library, Southeast Area.
- Serves as "Wagon Meister" of Friends Book Wagon in downtown Beaufort getting volunteers, managing the cash box, bank deposit, opening and closing the Book Wagon for 7 months of the year.
- Led a successful fund raising event to refurbish the Book Wagon
Janet Jones - Randolph County Friends of the Library, Central Area.
- Actively manages a downtown Book Shop 3 days a week
- Organized a teacher appreciation day in the book shop to introduce teachers to the values found in the shop
Becky Stragand - Ashe County Library Friends, West Central Area.
- Produces the Friends newsletter and is the administrator of the Friends FaceBook page
- Represents library and Friends for the literary festival "On the Same Page"
QUESTIONS? CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org