Friends of North Carolina Public Libraries
Friends of North Carolina Public Libraries (FONCPL)—our statewide volunteer Friends of the Library organization—provides a network for sharing ideas and resources to strengthen Friends of the Library and thereby strengthen our public libraries statewide. Our fine public libraries serve all North Carolinians, providing myriad programs and services for people of all ages—from infants to senior citizens and everybody in between. "There is beauty and purpose in the work of all the people who direct or support public library service in North Carolina, and since 1980 FONCPL has been an enthusiastic advocate for their efforts," says Regina Gale Dozier, former FONCPL Director.
Grants & Awards
In May 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded its third Seed Grant to the Bladen County Friends of the Library to help revitalize an existing Friends group.
In January 2022, the FONCPL Board just awarded its second Seed Grant to Denton Friends of the Library (Davidson County) to help establish a new Friends group.
The first Seed Grant ($500) was awarded to the Friends of the Public Library of Johnston County & Smithfield to fund the cost of applying for and attaining nonprofit status.
FONCPL awarded our first Challenge Grants to member Friends:
- $250 to Friends of the Vanceboro-Craven County Public Library for their project, "Catch the Little Free Libraries Bus."
- $250 to the Friends of the Lexington Library to fund a project to give a free book to every elementary school child that attends the May 7, 2022 Multicultural Festival in Lexington.
Congratulations to all these winners!
The July 2022 Newsletter has been posted to the website. Things to note:
- Next Open Mic Night on July 12th at 7:00 PM. Topic: Banned Books Week September 18-24.
- Resources for Banned Books Week
- Celebrating July 4th
- More beach read suggestions
- Paying Sales Tax on Goods, Books, Media and other items sold by Friends
- EveryLibrary Fundraising ideas
- Proposed legislative Charitable Solicitation Licensing Reforms
What's New or News
- Next Open Mic Night is scheduled for Tuesday July 12, 2022 at 7:00 PM. Topic: Banned Books Week. Click here for the Zoom link. Meeting ID: 892 6848 7935 Passcode: 763915 Call in #: (301 )715-8592.
- Members: New & Renewed
Welcome to the Friends of the Southwest Brunswick Branch Library who just renewed their FONCPL membership and to the Friends of the Hot Springs Library who became FONCPL members for the first time.
- 2022 FONCPL Spring Virtual Workshop. Click here to access. There are a number of topics of interest to Friends. Do show them at your meeting.
- 2021 FONCPL Annual Report
Click here to read our 2021 accomplishments.
- Join NC-Friends listserv. This NC State Library listserv is for those interested in friends related activities and public library service. To join: https://statelibrarync.simplelists.com/
To send a message via the listserv:
- FONCPL Director Position--FONCPL is seeking a Friend who would like to join our Board as a Director. What a wonderful way to ensure the legacy of Friends around NC! If interested, please contact President Judy Hills.