Friends of North Carolina Public Libraries
Friends of North Carolina Public Libraries (FONCPL)—our statewide volunteer Friends of the Library organization—provides a network for sharing ideas and resources to strengthen Friends of the Library and thereby strengthen our public libraries statewide. Our fine public libraries serve all North Carolinians, providing myriad programs and services for people of all ages—from infants to senior citizens and everybody in between. "There is beauty and purpose in the work of all the people who direct or support public library service in North Carolina, and since 1980 FONCPL has been an enthusiastic advocate for their efforts," says Regina Gale Dozier, former FONCPL Director.
Grants & Awards
In October, the FONCPL recognized Lisa Keesen, the Secretary of the Friends of the New Bern-Craven County Public Library as a Friend of the Year for her contributions to her Friends group. Congratulations Lisa!
On October 3, 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded its sixth Seed Grant to the Friends of the Gibsonville Public Library.
On September 30, 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded its fifth Seed Grant to the Friends of the Spruce Pine Public Library to help revitalize this group.
On September 27, 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded a $250 Challenge Grant to the Friends of the Library of Southport and Oak Island for benches for the Barbee Library at Oak Island. Congratulations!
On August 22, 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded its fourth Seed Grant to the Friends of the Wren Memorial Library in Siler City (Chatham County) to help establish a new Friends group.
In May 2022, the FONCPL Board awarded its third Seed Grant to the Bladen County Friends of the Library to help revitalize an existing Friends group.
In January 2022, the FONCPL Board just awarded its second Seed Grant to Denton Friends of the Library (Davidson County) to help establish a new Friends group.
The first Seed Grant ($500) was awarded to the Friends of the Public Library of Johnston County & Smithfield to fund the cost of applying for and attaining nonprofit status.
FONCPL awarded our first Challenge Grants to member Friends:
- $250 to Friends of the Vanceboro-Craven County Public Library for their project, "Catch the Little Free Libraries Bus."
- $250 to the Friends of the Lexington Library to fund a project to give a free book to every elementary school child that attends the May 7, 2022 Multicultural Festival in Lexington.
Congratulations to all these winners!
The February 2023 Newsletter has been posted to the website. Things to note:
- TIME TO RENEW OR JOIN FONCPL--Click on the JOIN tab above or the form.
- We encourage you to support FONCPL by also joining as an individual
- An article on acknowledging donors as required by the IRS if you are a 501(c)(3).
- QR Codes--how to create and use
- Cute article on library cats
- We need your help to develop an NC authors' list.
- Does your Board need D&O Insurance? Check out this article.
- Deadline for the March edition is 2/25/23. Send your material to editor Kathy Lambe.
What's New or News
- Time to Renew
Yep, your FONCPL membership expires the end of December. Please complete the form so we can get current contact information on your Friends. Click here for the group form. Click here for the individual form.
- Win a StoryWalk!
As a special incentive--those Friends groups renewing (or joining) who do not have a StoryWalk in their community can apply for a drawing for one story title. The name of one lucky Friends group will be drawn or about February 16, 2023. You must be current on your dues to apply--so get them in early! Click here for details. Link to fillable pdf application: Storywalk drawing application
- Open Mic Night February
Our February topic will be insurance--do you need it? What type of insurance is available? This zoom meeting will be held on Tuesday 2/7/23 at 7:00 PM. Click here for the link.
- FONCPL 2022 Annual Report
We encourage you to read our annual report that summarize our accomplishments in 2022. Click 2022 Annual Report to read.
- Join NC-Friends listserv. This NC State Library listserv is for those interested in friends related activities and public library service. To join: https://statelibrarync.simplelists.com/
To send a message via the listserv: